Tuesday, January 12, 2010

An Iron Cage

Reading through the "Pilgrim's Progress" once again has been a very helpful thing for me. Here is a very chilling passage from where Christian is in the Interpreter's house.

"Christian: Now, let me go hence.
Interpreter: Nay, stay, until I have shown thee a little more, and after that thou shalt go thy way.

So he took him by the hand again, and led him into a very dark room, where there sat a man in an iron cage. Now the man, to look on, seemed very sad. He sat with his eyes looking down to the ground, his hands folded together, and he sighed as if he would break his heart.

Chr: What means this?

At which the Interpreter bid him talk with the man.

Chr: What art thou?
Man: I am what I was not once.
Chr: What wast thou once?
Man: I was once a fair and flourishing professor (Luke 8:13), both in mine own eyes, and also in the eyes of others. I was once, as I thought, fair for the Celestial City, and had even joy at the thoughts that I should get thither.
Chr: Well, but what art thou now?
Man: I am now a man of despair, and am shut up in it, as in this iron cage. I cannot get out. Oh, now I cannot!
Chr: But how camest thou into this condition?
Man: I left off to watch and be sober. I laid the reins upon the neck of my lusts. I sinned against the light of the Word, and the goodness of God. I have grieved the Spirit, and He is gone. I tempted the Devil, and he is come to me. I have so hardened my heart that I cannot repent.
Chr: For what did you bring yourself into this condition?
Man: For the lusts, pleasures, and profits of this world; in the enjoyment of which I did then promise myself much delight; but now every one of those things also bit me, and gnaw me, like a burning worm.
Interpreter: Let this man's misery be remembered by thee, and be an everlasting caution to thee."

He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck, will suddenly be broken beyond healing. -Proverbs 29:1

2 comments:

  1. I love the pilgrims progress, i recently got done reading that and i agree it was absolutely chilling when i came to that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that JD. Like much of that book this is a very important point in the middle of some coded language (old English). I know I needed it.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete