Thursday, May 20, 2010

Help My Unbelief

Here are some notes I took in my journal today from Mark 9. If anything I say is wrong, please tell me. I'm still learning how to study my Bible and I may have some things wrong.

Today I read Mark 9, which is the story of Jesus' transfiguration and a time he healed a boy with an unclean spirit. Jesus comes down from the mountain (after the transfiguration) and finds his disciples (minus Peter, James, and John) arguing with some scribes. He finds out (of course He already knew) that his disciples had tried to cast out an unclean spirit, but were unable. The father of the child desperately calls out to Jesus for help. Verse 19 says this:

"And he [Jesus] answered them, 'O faithless generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you?'"

I find it so powerful the way Christ views sin and the hearts of men. Christ sees sin as such a problem that a demon possession seems somewhat minimal. So often people came to Jesus to be healed of physical ailments, but they failed to see that they had the ultimate source for spiritual healing right in front of them! We are blind. We can't see past our own physical, mental, and emotional "issues."

At the sight of Jesus, scripture tells us that the spirit convulsed the boy.When Jesus asked him how long the child had been tormented, the father replied (vs. 21b-22):

"...from childhood. And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us."

Jesus' sarcastic response cuts deep into the father (and should into us as well), revealing his faithlessness.

"If you can! All things are possible for one who believes."

Next a beautiful thing happens. Jesus opens the man's eyes and he sees his doubt. The man then shows his deprivation as a human and his need for constant grace and help through his wonderful request.:

"I believe; help my unbelief."

This should be the prayer of every Christian,because we do fail to trust and believe that Christ is everything we need and can do anything. Christ then humbly heals the boy. Even though he is more concerned about their hearts, he shows love and mercy by physically healing the boy. The God we serve shows so much grace to us, feeble, simple-minded humans, and we take Him for granted. Thank you for your grace, Lord. Help our unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment