Friday, March 12, 2010

Seeing the Cross and Counting It Joy

I just finished reading C.J.Mahaney's "Christ Our Mediator". I have already blogged about two of the chapters called "The Divine Dilemma" and "The Divine Rescue." To read these posts, click here.

Today I would just like to give some quotes about seeing your sin for what it truly is, and then through seeing your sin looking at the cross for the ultimate joy.

"Unless you see yourself standing there with the shrieking crowd, full of hostility and hatred for the holy and innocent Lamb of God, you don;t really understand the nature and depth of your sin or the necessity of the cross."

"In making this point, my ultimate purpose is not to convict you of sin, but to convince you of grace. Unless you're deeply aware of your sin, and of what affront it is to God's holiness, and of how impossible it is for Him to respond to this sin with anything other than furious wrath - you'll never appreciate grace, and it will never be amazing to you. Only those who are truly aware of their sin can truly cherish grace."

"The distractions that turn us away from the cross are so incessant and so numerous. But failing to focus on the right spot has serious consequences. So here's my question for you: In the last week, what was your primary preoccupation in your life? What was your spiritual focus? Was it on that spot where God most reveals His personal love for you - the cross?

Or was it on your own circumstances, your own condition, your own concerns? Was your preoccupation with your personal pursuit of godliness? Growth in godliness must be pursued, but never apart from joyful gratitude for the cross."

"And the inevitable result of preaching the gospel to yourself will be a pronounced joy,an infectious joy, a consistent joy.

Like Nothing else, the gospel creates joy; it's both the source and the object of our joy. The gospel alone allows us to obey the biblical directive to 'serve the Lord with gladness.' Joy is a command. You may be working hard and serving the Lord faithfully, but if you aren't serving with gladness, you aren't serving Him appropriately or representing Him accurately."

"Are you someone who's consistently joyful and continually aware that the joy of the Lord is your strength? Or do you normally appear to others to be someone who's burdened, busy, and easily bothered?"

Lord, we praise you for your Son's sacrifice, and thank you for your continued grace towards us. Lord, as I read these quotes and questions, I see how much glory I take away from you and try to give to myself. There are times where I don't think about the price you paid, or I take for granted your grace, or I diminish your holiness and view of sin.

I pray that you would give me wisdom to understand these things and to be affected by your cross. Lord, through you I know I can do anything. Lord,help me to count all things as joy. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment