Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What are words?





Part 1 of the series I am attempting to do was Just a little Babel and at the end I posed a question.
I hope at the end of this one we can get some dialogue because I would like the discussion to help shape part 3.

There are many questions that run through my curious mind about different things, but one in-particular thing lately has nagged at me a bit longer than usual. Where do words get their meaning? How does a culture go from have one very vulgar term one day to 20 years later it is a term flippantly used by children. At what point does the Christ follower have to shut down certain speech even though its widely accepted or un accepted?

Recently I listened to a sermon by Matt Chandler (warning if you are from Australia this next story could be considered offensive) where he spoke about his trip to Australia where he was doing some preaching. He was in the middle of talking at a conference and needed to use the word fanny pack to explain a nerdy type of guy. The crowd immediately gasped and he then was faced with trying to figure out what the problem was. In the process though he continued to say the word that was offending the crowd. So at what point does culture define a word, and yet we are to have Colossians 3:8 in mind.

This question came from a few years of hearing the argument “You can say what ever words you want. Words only have the meaning that you give to them”. This mixed with a Derek Webb song titled “what matters more”, where he cusses. Comments were made about the song such as “I thought with all the controversy that he would have said something a lot worse than that” and “he's trying to make a point and needs the shock value. These blended together with the Tower of Babel and James 3:3-12 in my study.

In James 3 we see that the tongue is a desirable thing to tame and control (I'm not there yet and according to James it itsn't looking great for the future either). This means that the words you speak come with meaning. Jesus unpacks this even further. In Mark 15:17-18 Jesus says that the words that come from our mouth are generated by our hearts. So regardless of the actual words you speak it might not be a bad idea to search the source first and hen the dictionary.

So where does the Christian draw the line? Is it with Derek Webb like soft cussing? Or is it ok to use cussing or foul speech if you don't mean it in anger? Is it ok to use it to get attention? Is it ok to use any words to express anger?

I ask these questions with Colossians 3:17 in mind. Not to hold fast to tradition or relevance. But simply to ask why do we hold so tightly to a “freedom” to use “any” words that we desire if the impact could be someone stumbling. I have seen even pastors fight for their right to use light cussing to be relevant rather than to use another term which has the same meaning (which brings up another point for some. Why is it ok to use one word and not another if they mean the same), and not to be bogged down by legalism. But for what cause do we do this.

I have a few rules for discussion: 1. No cursing, if you feel the need to use inappropriate words then hold off on comments or email me. 2. If you don't want to comment on the blog you can facebook me or twitter. 3. look through the lens of Colossians 3:17.

I pray discussion is productive and glorifying to Christ. Part 3 will be the unpacking of this topic and words for the Glory of Christ.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts. I think there is definitely a balance when it comes to these things. I am a firm believer in a post-modern understanding of language. Words, grammar, etc,... are just a means to the end of communication. That is why the internet police won't arrest Sarah for not liking to capatalize. That is also why I accidently make up words all the time which spell check seems to hate.

    On the other hand James seems to indicate that words say a lot about us. So how do we reconcile that? This has been an issue for me ever since I had to read the story of Balem's donkey from a KJV Bible in Sunday School. I was embarrassed, everyone else giggled.

    The point isn't that words in and of themselves are either good or sinful, it is the heart behind what is meant to be communicated. That is why I don't think intentionally cussing can be good. I didn't like it when Piper did it at the Passion conference (he did apologize), I didn't like it when Douglas Wilson did it in the Collison movie, and I don't like it any other time. Because if nothing else the intention is to draw attention to one's self rather than to be edifying.

    Obviously Matt Chandler didn't have any idea what he was doing so I can't imagine his use of such a strange 80's phenomenon being sinful.

    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha only you could bring a talking donkey into a conversation about words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Interesting and necessary stuff to think about. I do agree that it is the heart that should be our primary concern, as our words flow from our heart.
    2. I also happen to be reading through "War of Words" by Tripp right now. Pretty convicting and helpful, I'd recommend it for reading or rereading.
    3. Is that your fanny pack in the picture?

    ReplyDelete