Thursday, October 1, 2009

Get the Good Bread!

A while ago I sent my husband to the grocery store. On the small list of items needed was bread. I had written down what brand I wanted just in case he forgot. Well, when he returned he explained to me that the store didn’t have what I had written down. Instead... “I got what I knew would be the most appealing to you and the least appealing to me.” It was funny because he was so right

In Christianity bread can be a synonym for Christ or the Word of God. In John 6:35 Jesus says, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” And by daily reading God’s word we’re allowing God to fill up our souls and nourish us. By reading Gods word we draw closer to him because we learn about his character and his will for our lives.

So why the husband/bread story? Because in the same way that my husband knows im picky about my bread because I want food that is nourishing and good for our bodies, we need to be picky in our faith and what we choose to believe. There are many false gospels out there today and people who water down what the bible says. There are people who whether they know it or not would lead you down a dangerous road that weakens your faith in Christ. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are the prosperity gospel and the idea that since we have freedom in Christ ( Galatians 5:1 ) we are free to live as we please because we have our “Jesus Ticket.” 1 Corinthians 1:23-24 says “ but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

It is important for us as believers know and study God’s word so that we wont be swayed by false gospels. Think of it like this…it would be silly to study ALL the different versions of a counterfit 100 dollar bill right? That would be time consuming and yeah you would learn to recognize a fake one, but why not just study a real 100 dollar bill and when you see a counterfit come up, you know its not the real thing. God’s word is the real thing, so start feasting on the good bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment