Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Discussions that last







Last week I was watching “A night of eschatology” on Desiring Gods website. The 4 panelist's Doug Wilson, Sam Storms, Jim Hamilton and John Piper (I count him even though he was the host because he did offer a little discussion). It is a wonderful discussion on the millennium where 3 guys are sharing their views and thoughts on scripture and their end time views. There was actually a bit of heated discussion that happened as certain scriptures turned up and each person had a different interpretation of it and how it is effected by other passages.


Listening to the discussion it made me curious what it would be like if these guys didn't “get along” as well as Augustus Toplady and John Wesley. Toplady and Wesley both disagreed on the issue of Calvinism. Toplady was known to have said “I believe him to be the most rancorous hater of the gospel-system that ever appeared on this island” about Wesley. That phrase was what reminded me of the debate on the dg website due to the heated discussion. The main differences is that these guys all seemed to be very loving and civil toward each other afterwards

In the disagreement's that Wesley and Toplady had, Toplady wrote an article about Gods forgiveness, meaning for it to be a jab at Wesley. He wrote;

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee,
Let the water and the blood,
from Thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure,
save from wrath and make me pure.

Such a wonderful song that was birthed from a disagreement over scriptures. I can't wait to see what comes from the round table discussion at Bethlehem Baptist. If nothing else it has made me look closer into scriptures that I never paid close attention to, and to praise God that He gave us the drive to study His inspired word close enough that we even care about these issues.

Even though these types of things can be devastating to our views at times if we are shown to be incorrect... isn't that the goal anyways, to be closer in His image and humbled?

All that was said to basically tell you how this song came to mind for sharing this morning.


Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
[originally When my eye-strings break in death]
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is an interesting story. I love that song, definately a favorite.

    ReplyDelete