Thursday, September 30, 2010

Waiting for the Bride-Groom

Lately work life for my husband and I has been pretty hectic. More so for him than for me. One thing i appreciate about Jonathan is his work ethic, but with lots of work comes lots of time at the office. I am in the process of learning (i'm almost positive it will take me years) to be content and encouraging when my husband has days of long work hours that keep him from home. I guarantee you my first reaction on long nights is usually anything but enthusiastic (which im sure is a healthy sign, but selfish at the core). Rather than building up my husband with kind and encouraging words i usually add to his stress because now not only does he have tons of work, but a pouty wife who will guilt trip him later. Tonight is one of those not so selfish nights, where im not leaping for joy that i have the house to myself, but i understand and am therefore supportive.

One thing i have realized just in not seeing my husband tonight is how much i miss him and long for him to be here. At the slightest indication that he is home i get all excited and giddy. I'll stop there with the mushy stuff, but in thinking about how much i am anticipating my husband coming home after just one and half days, it makes me think of our longing to be with Christ.

Here we are on earth, saved, justified, and now were being sanctified. How often do i long for heaven or the return of christ to come and claim his bride? The giddyness that i experience just in missing my husband for barely over a day should pale in comparison to how much i should be longing for christ to be reunited with the church. i admit i fall short in this area. I get focused on life here on earth and enjoying God and his creation now that i sometimes forget that i have heaven to look forward to. The great thing about these two parallels is that i have the happy ending of both hope and promise that both my husband and Christ are coming back.

Grace and Peace
sarah b.

No comments:

Post a Comment