Tuesday, September 7, 2010

God and the Psalms

Reading through the Psalms in the Bible can often times be a shocking experience. The violence, the raw confession, the wildness, the dancing, the hatred, the doubt, the despair, the loneliness, the joy, the celebration, the death, the mystery...it is a very exciting and diverse collection of experiences and emotions. One particularly interesting topic that many of the Psalms deal with is sin.


Sometimes it can feel that the Psalmists can be "too honest". Whenever I am reading through a Psalm and I come across a verse that says "my iniquities have overtaken me, and I cannot see; they are more than the hairs of my head, my heart fails me" (Psalm 40:12) it takes me off guard no matter how familiar that experience is to my soul. It is amazing how often and how severely the Psalm writers deal with the struggles and evils in their lives. Psalm 38 verses three and four state "There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation; there is no health in my bones because of my sin. For my iniquities have gone over my head; like a heavy burden they are too heavy for me". Psalm 51 shows David lamenting the reality of his sin being ever before him. When I read these passages I always think of Romans 7 where Paul says "For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing." (Romans 7:18b-19)


It is amazing sometimes to realize that the people who were living for God back then are just like us in their struggles, temptations, and sin. No Christ-follower misses the war. No one who has been rescued by God is exempt from dealing with the powers of darkness.


But why did the Psalmists write like this? Why did Paul write what he wrote in Romans 7? Because of who God is.


In Psalm 40 David knows His God is the one who "drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock". David knows that God will show steadfast love and faithfulness. The writer knew that our God is the God who gives us a new song to sing.

In Psalm 38 David again comes to the Lord for he believes that God is all knowing. He comes to God for He knows that the Lord "will answer." He calls out to the Creator for the Creator is our salvation. In Psalm 51 David cries out to his Father for he believes that He can give him a clean heart and the renewal of a right spirit. He comes to the Father of Lights because He trusts that this one at whose right hand are pleasures forevermore will be able to restore the joy of His salvation. Paul, in Romans 7, ends by saying "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!". In chapter 8 Paul writes those words that bring so much comfort, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."


The writers of these sections of the Bible spoke so honestly about their struggles because of the God they believed in. They trusted that the Lord Jesus who shed His blood for the glory of redemption would cover their sins. They trusted that the Father who loved the world and gave His only Son would forgive them. They walked by faith in the promises of God.


These sections in the Scriptures are very encouraging. They admit the sin, but they point to the gracious and merciful God who loves us. I hope that we will join with the Psalm writers and continue to point ourselves and others to the Maker of the heavens and the earth who offers to forgive sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment