Friday, September 18, 2009

The Wonderful Cross

When I survey the wondrous cross,
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but lost
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Oh, the wonderful cross.
Oh, the wonderful cross,
Bids me come and die
And find that I may truly live

Oh, the wonderful cross.
Oh, the wonderful cross,
All who gather here
By grace draw near and bless your name.

See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did 'ere such love and sorrow meet?
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That be an offering far too small.
Love so amazing so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all


This beautiful hymn depicts the life given to a believer. It is completely Christ's, bought by his blood. The hymn writer is only looking upon the scene, when he says "When I survey the wondrous cross" and "See from his head, his hands, his feet." He knows that Jesus is the one that died for our sins and asked us to follow Him. We just stand in awe of His gracious gift and praise Him for even considering us.

Christ did not have to do anything for us. He did not even have to look at us as He judged us. But instead the Prince of Glory came down and died for us. This should humble us so much that our "richest gain we count as lost" and we "pour contempt on all of our pride."

The hymn writer restates his humbleness by saying that even if all of nature was his, that would too small a gift to even consider giving God. Instead He demands my soul, my life, and my all. His death is the best gift that anyone could ever receive. He died for us, so should not we give our lives to serve Him?

Oh the wonderful cross of Christ that bids me come and die that I may truly live in Christ. Give your entire live to Him. Give everything to Him. We will fail at times and He knows that, but that is what makes Him a gracious and loving God. Praise His Name!

No comments:

Post a Comment