Monday, September 21, 2009

Reflections on a Shadow

Looking at the calendar above my desk I see a lot of holidays that are meaningless to me. I would list them out but you know what they are; pretty much any holiday that doesn't get me out of work or school. But this year I saw one of those days and it made me pause and think.

This time next week is the celebration of Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. It is described in chapters 16 and 23 of Leviticus as well as some other places. I'm not, however, suggesting that we celebrate this Jewish holiday. But when we see a day like this on our calendar it can be helpful to reflect back on what its purpose was for that time, namely a type and shadow of Christ (Col 2:17).

So I just thought that in honor of this shadowy holiday I would post the lyrics to Shai Linne's "High Priest."


Verse 1


There’s commotion in my brain, strange is the notion

Words cannot explain my range of emotion

I’m speechless, my flaws exposed and my weakness

Each breath draws me closer to a deep test

It’s month number seven, it’s been ten days

I’ve been awake all night reflecting on my ways

A threat to my peace in this greatest of moments

Because I’m the High Priest and it’s the Day of Atonement

The LORD is so holy and perfect, I’m nervous

I’m floored that He chose me to worship through service

Don’t ask me why the God who crafted the sky

Drafted this weak guy from the clan of Levi

Preceding generation taught me to read the regulations

Deep meditation on decreed revelation

Extreme trepidation breeds hesitation

Yet I must lead and be the representation

My occupation- to intercede for the nation

But indeed my own sins need expiation

The wrath of Jehovah’s grim, sin is no joke to Him

The hope is slim for unholy men coming close to Him

He’s spoken in His Word the proper way of approach to Him

Nadab and Abihu got it wrong and He roasted them

These things I weigh as I sigh

This could either be the greatest day of my life or the day that I die!

Chorus

So you say that you wanna know the LORD?

Do you really wanna stand before the LORD?

Do you know what it takes to meet the LORD?

God is an all-consuming fire

So you say that you wanna know the LORD

Do you really wanna stand before the LORD?

Do you know what it takes to meet the LORD?

Be careful what you desire


Verse 2


For now, no time to focus on my sinning

I bathe in the laver though it seems extreme

I put on the holy coat made of white linen

Craving His favor- I’m ceremonially clean

I check to inspect- no tangible faltering

Next I must collect the animals for the offering

A spotless ram and a bull- the components

God gives to make atonement for my own sins

This part of the ritual makes me real cautious

Because the very sight of blood makes me feel nauseous

Still I proceed by snatching him close, slashing his throat

when his blood splashed on my coat

Reacting, I choke- gasping that’s when I’m grasping

God’s reaction that sin provokes

I take a moment to reflect on the blood spilled in this

Staring at the goat to be sent into the wilderness

I’ll confess Israel’s sins with my hands on his head

Symbolizing guilt transferred instead

to a substitute the living God provided and stamped

guilty of our sin, driven outside the camp

This beautiful picture of hope and grace motivates

And I don’t want my fear to make this dope occasion go to waste

Change my outer garments, slow my pace- yo I brace

myself to stand before Jehovah’s face in the Holy Place


Verse 3


The time has come, the great moment has arrived

About to enter in- what a lonely enterprise

Look at the other priests, they speak only with their eyes

Rope tied around my ankle just in case I don’t survive

I enter through the first curtain to a dark room

I’m standing in the Holy Place, my thoughts consumed

I’m caught off guard, I’m unraveling at this stage

My heartbeat so hard it’s rattling my ribcage

Feeling like I’m disintegrating and I can’t stand

Comforted by the light emanating from the lampstand

This helps my vision- I can see the showbread

I think of God’s provision, that helps me go ahead

I need courage to worship! Man, this is intense

I take burning coals off the altar for the incense

The sweet aroma fills the room

The smoke protects my eyes- one sight of Jehovah seals my doom

It’s no mere coincidence I’m here surrendering

With fear and trembling I’m nearly entering

I feel like running scared, hoping I’m not unprepared

Stunned with fear- no one comes in here but once a year

Nevertheless I’m at the point of no return

Besides, I don’t want my anointing to be spurned

After counting to three, next time I inhale

I’m in the Holy of Holies beyond the veil!

The first thing I realize is I’m thrilled that I’ve

entered into God’s presence and yet I’m still alive

I’m awestruck by the weight of His terrible beauty

It’s almost unbearable but I must fulfill my duty

Approach the ark, the first part of my work’s complete

when I sprinkle blood seven times on the mercy seat

Quickly I exit, impressed with the Hesed

that rescues the wretched and left us accepted!

Grace and Peace,
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment